Saturday, August 17, 2013

John Greer And The Boundary's Of Heathcoat's Cottage

In the year 1732 a land commission was held on a tract called Heathcoat's Cottage which lies on the northeast side of Great Gunpowder Falls and is traversed by the present Bel Air Road on crossing the Falls. 

John Greer testified before the same commission of having been informed fourteen or fifteen years before by his uncle John Taylor then Deputy Surveyor that the beginning tree of  "Heathcoats Cottage" "was a bounded poplar tree which stood at the head of the first draft above Nicholas Day's plantation near to an Indian Cabbin....[near]...the third branch on the north side of the Main Falls of Gunpowder River... ."

Many years later, in 1769, Moses Greer testified before a commission held to determine the bounds of Sewell's Fancy...near an old path formerly known by the name of Cox's Road...was the place where a tract or parcell or land called Heathcoats Cottage began or formerly had its beginning." 

In 1814 depositions were taken before the Chancery Court in the case of Day and Kell vs Todd concerning the bounds of "Heathcoats Cottage," "Gassaway's Ridge," "Leafe's Chance" and "Clarksons Hope," all of which tracts lie adjacent one to another. John B. Ford testified that thirty five years before he had been with Moses Greer when the latter proved one of the boundaries of "Gassaway's Ridge" to be at the three Indian graves sixty-six yards to the southward of the CB Tree." 

The remains of the CB Tree and a stone marked CB are still to be seen about a quarter of a mile west of the old Ishmael Day house which stands on the Joppa Road between Kingsville and Fork. Source

No comments: