"The survey of the land into townships was begun soon after the end of the war."
"... in 1784 it was actively proceeded with along the Niagara River as well as in the east on the Bay of Quinte and the River St. Lawrence."
"...the original plans...a line was run from a point...at the present ruins of Fort George westward to the Four Mile Creek and afterwards to the boundary of the Township of Grantham, the original garrison line to the Four Mile Greek which is now known as the east and west line."
"That portion on the lake side was constituted a military reservation lands reserved by the Crown extending to the Four Mile Creek."
"To the south of the line the land was laid out in lots fronting on the Niagara River." Source