First Ward - All west of the centre line of Shelby Street to the lower line of the Jones farm and south of the centre of Michigan ave.
Second Ward - All south of the centre of Monroe and Michigan avenues and between the centres of Shelby and Randolph streets.
Third Ward - All south of Croghan street, and between the centre lines of Randolph and St. Antoine streets.
Fourth Ward - All south of the Gratiot road, and between the centre lines of St. Antoine and Rivard street.
Fifth Ward - All north of the centre of Michigan avenue, and west of the centres of Woodward avenue and the Saginaw turnpike, to the lower line of the Jones farm.
Sixth Ward - All east of the centre of Woodward avenue, north of the centres of Monroe avenue and Croghan street, and west of the centre line of St. Antoine street.
Seventh Ward - All south of the Gratiot road, and east of the centre of Rivard street.
Eighth Ward - All between the lower line of the Jones' farm and upper line of the Woodbridge street.
Mention of Jones farm (DeGarmo Jones) and more from "Early days in Detroit":
From "The history of Detroit and Michigan....":
A. Lasalle...July 21, 1808...Detroit, Prior to sale to Lasalle known as P. Chesne Farm, now known as the Jones Farm.
Historical maps of Detroit can be found here, including a map showing the wards in Detroit in 1880.
An 1873 map of Detroit showing additional wards here.
Even more and even older maps of Detroit can be seen here.
There were five wards in 1837.