Sunday, April 4, 2010

Ancestor Approved Award - The Rest of the Story

Thanks for the Ancestor Approved Award!


Linda at "Documenting The Details" honored me and my "In Deeds" blog with an "Ancestor Approved Award." Thank you Linda for the award and for reading my blog.

As a recipient of this award, there are 10 things listed that I have learned about my ancestors that have surprised, humbled or enlightened me. Then pass the award to 10 other genealogy bloggers.

1. Ancestor William Roark was part of Lochrey's Defeat, where every member of Lochrey's unit was either captured or killed enroute to joining Gen. George Rogers Clark

2. James Patillo, my 5th great-grandfather, divorced his 3rd wife in 1825. The tombstone of James Patillo was unearthed per a 1931 newspaper article found at the Wisconsin Historical Society.

3. I have Mayflower ancestors (Stephen Hopkins and his daughter, Constance). Stephen was a two-fer because he also counts as a Jamestown (Va) ancestor.

4. My Johnsons weren't that hard to trace, after all! (At least back to John Johnson who was born in Georgia in 1793; I have no clue beyond him)

5. I have only one ancestor (so far) with a German heritage; Mary (LNU), b. 1791 in Upper Canada, who married William Howard.

6. Although I just knew that Grandpa (Ralph N. Powers) was born in Lapeer County, Michigan (heck, as a kid we used to visit the graves of his parents and grandparents there), he actually was born in Battle Creek, Calhoun Co., Michigan (that was my first big surprise during my first month or so of research). His family moved back to Lapeer after a few years.

7. My 2nd great-grandmother Cynthia (Richmond) More was married twice. She was widowed in 1870; she was a "More" in 1880 and her death record listed her as Cynthia More. It wasn't until I started perusing the Lapeer County deeds that I found out that she had married Sylvester P. Marshall in 1873. Haven't found a record of divorce, though I believe Sylvester married again in Cynthia's lifetime.

8. 6th great-grandfather, John Trousdale, deeded property to a representative of the University of North Carolina.

9. 2nd great-grandfather, James More, was sheriff of Lapeer County, Michigan.

10. Another 2nd great-grandfather, Captain James A. Rice (Union), was captured during the battle of Chickamauga and held as a POW.

Haven't picked 10 others, but it's been fun reading the blogs of the other awardees.

2 comments:

Dorene from Ohio said...

You are definitely "Ancestor Approved"!! Great job!

PalmsRV said...

Thank you so much, Dorene. Your comment means a lot to me!

Cathy